Periodontal disease, commonly known as gum disease, is a prevalent oral health condition that affects millions of people worldwide. It is an infection that affects the tissues surrounding and supporting the teeth, leading to gum inflammation, gum recession, and potentially tooth loss if left untreated. However, the good news is that periodontal disease is highly preventable and treatable with proper dental care and maintenance. In this blog post, Vibrant Square Dental will discuss effective ways to treat periodontal disease and share preventative care tips to keep your gums healthy and vibrant.
Ways To Treat Periodontal Disease
At Vibrant Square Dental we utilize advanced technologies and state-of-the-art equipment to offer effective periodontal treatment. The specific course of your periodontal treatment will depend on the stage of your infection and the extent of deterioration in your gums, teeth, supporting tissues, and bone.
After carefully examining your digital X-rays and conducting a comprehensive periodontal exam, Dr. Maryna Kharkavets will address any queries you may have and discuss various options for your periodontal treatment, which include:
1. Non-Surgical Gum Therapy: This procedure, known as scaling and root planing, aims to eliminate the initial cause of gum disease by thoroughly cleaning the root surfaces of plaque, tartar, and bacteria. When performed with local anesthesia, this treatment can prevent the progression of gum disease and facilitate gum healing.
2. Periodontal Corrective Procedures: In cases where periodontitis is more severe, our experienced team can provide periodontal surgery to address deep gingival pockets and eliminate harmful bacteria. These pocket reduction procedures can help prevent further damage to the bone and tooth loss. Additionally, they can prepare the area for bone grafts if needed, promoting improved healing.
3. Periodontal Maintenance: While gum therapy effectively removes bacteria, it’s important to note that gum disease does not currently have a cure. To prevent the recurrence of gum disease and preserve your healthy, natural smile, Dr. Kharkavets and her team offer periodontal maintenance. This ongoing care ensures regular monitoring, professional cleaning, and personalized guidance to support long-term oral health.
Preventative Care Tips
While treating periodontal disease is crucial, prevention is always better than cure. Here are some preventative care tips to maintain healthy gums and prevent gum disease:
1. Brush and floss regularly: Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth and along the gumline.
2. Use an antimicrobial mouthwash: Rinse your mouth with an antimicrobial mouthwash to reduce bacteria and plaque. Look for products with the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance for optimal effectiveness.
3. Maintain a healthy diet: Eat a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. Limit your intake of sugary snacks and beverages, as they contribute to plaque formation.
4. Avoid smoking and tobacco use: Smoking and tobacco use significantly increase the risk of gum disease. Quitting smoking can improve your oral health and overall well-being.
5. Schedule regular dental check-ups: Visit your dentist regularly for routine check-ups and professional cleanings. Regular dental visits help identify early signs of gum disease and ensure timely intervention
Treating Periodontal Disease
Despite maintaining a thorough dental hygiene routine, advanced gum disease cannot be resolved without professional intervention. Seeking professional treatment is crucial in addressing the underlying issues and facilitating the healing process. Following periodontal disease treatment, it is common to experience some level of sensitivity in the gums and teeth. However, this sensitivity typically diminishes within a few days after the treatment.
To initiate your journey towards improved oral health, Vibrant Square Dental in Vaughan, ON encourages you to contact us at 905-553-3004 today to schedule an examination and consultation. Our team will assess your condition, discuss the appropriate treatment options, and provide the necessary care to promote optimal gum health. Don’t hesitate to reach out and take the first step toward restoring your oral well-being.